Neurosurgeries are being performed at the JSS Hospital since 1989. Till 2008, the department was mostly attending to head injuries and cases of brain tumours such as glimoa. However, with the introduction of operating microscope and C arm in 2009 to the department, there has been a manifold increase in both number and variety of cases. It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that the variety of neurosurgical cases handled at JSS Hospital are not being handled at any hospital in Mysore city.
Currently, the department provides treatment to all neurosurgical cases. They include the following.
- Excision of all types of brain tumors
- Endoscopic removal of pituitary tumors
- Surgical management of all types of head injuries
- Clipping of cerebral Aneurysm.
- Thoracotomy / Lumbotomy / Corpectomy and instrumentation of the spine.
- Surgery for craniovertibral junction like AAD basilar invagination etc.
- All types of instrumentation for spine
- Surgery of spinal cord tumors
- Instrumentation for deformity of whole spine
- Cervical and lumbar microdiscectomies
- Artificial disc placement
- Surgery for split cord malformation
Outpatient consultation is offered three times a week. New patients are evaluated and treated on OPD basis. Those who require surgery are admitted.
Patients who require surgery are admitted after evaluation in OPD. Brain and spine trauma patients are first seen in emergency 24 X T and later admitted in trauma ward. Seriously ill and severe head injury patients who require ventilatory support are admitted to the intensive care unit.
- Operating Microscope
- C – arm
- Neurodrill (Craniotoma)
- All instruments required for micro neurosu