Don’t treat children as mini adults, because they are not.
They cannot say what is bothering them nor can they answer questions asked by the doctor. They are impatient during examination and are always not cooperative during the check-up. Hence they will need special care and attention by the treating doctors and not every other doctor. Kids who need medical attention need specialists who can make them relaxed and cooperative with them to make right diagnosis at right time. JSS Hospital has one of the best teams exclusively for paediatric surgery.
Pediatric surgery at JSS Hospital has a history of nearly a decade and half. It was started as a separate unit under surgery in the year 2001 by Dr Anil Kumar M G with the intention of providing quality surgical care to the children in the Mysuru region. The Division of Paediatric Surgery today provides diagnostic evaluation and treatment for neonates, infants, children, and adolescents with congenital anomalies and acquired conditions of the head and neck, chest wall and thorax, abdomen, gastro-intestinal tract, genitourinary system, and extremities. Special supportive services and facilities include Neonatal/Pediatric/Burns ICU along with immediate attention in trauma center.
The department under the guidance of Dr Anil Kumar M G has grown from a small unit to a full-fledged department consisting of two qualified Pediatric Surgeons and great support staff. The Department offers the complete gamut of pediatric surgical and pediatric urological services including minimally invasive endoscopic surgery, neonatal surgery, thoracic surgery, abdominal and cancer surgeries for children from infancy to adolescence. Our division performs an average of 700 operative cases each year. Antenatal counselling services are also provided.
The maximum number of emergency bronchoscopy and foreign body removals in children with foreign body (peanut, whistles, peas, pen caps, carrot pieces, etc.) aspirations have been done in this department over the last decade in all the surrounding districts as this service is not available for children anywhere else in the Mysuru region.
The department is actively involved in undergraduate and post graduate training. The department is working constantly for the betterment of child care.
- Reduce the psychological trauma of children undergoing surgery
- Ensure a safe, child-friendly “home-away-from-home” environment
- Strive to gain the trust and confidence of the parents
- Strive towards improving the Benchmarked high standards
- Maintain the application of International guidelines in the practice of Paediatric surgery
- Update surgical techniques/procedures continually
Dr ANIL KUMAR MG – Professor & Head of the Department
He has seventeen years of experience in Paediatric Surgery and was trained under eminent surgeons of Mumbai at the renowned Wadia Children’s Hospital (under G S Seth Medical College, Mumbai). He has previously worked at Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health in Bangalore, and has been in JSS Hospital for the last fourteen years building the department from its infancy.
Dr.SUDHAMSHU K C – Assistant Professor
He was trained at the famed and reputed St John’s Medical College in Bangalore. Having nearly six years of experience in Paeditric Surgery, he worked at St John’s Hospital Bangalore before joining the Paediatric Surgery Department of JSS Hospital.
- Tracheo-esophageal fistula
- Abdominal wall defects
- Diaphragmatic hernias
- Imperforate anus
- Hirschsprung’s Disease
- Intestinal Atresias
- Posterior Urethral Valves
General Paediatric Surgery
- Hernia and hydrocele
- Undescended testis (empty scrotum)
- Thyroid and thyroglossal cyst
Paediatric Urology / Genital Surgery
- Hypospadias / Epispadias
- PUJ (Pelvi-ureteric Junction) Obstructions
- Ureteric Reimplantations for Vesico-Uereteric Reflux (VUR) and obstructed Mega-Ureters
- Bladder Outlet obstruction
- Ambiguous genitalia
- Neurogenic bladder
Paediatric Advanced Laparoscopy
- Laparoscopic nephrectomy
- Laparoscopic splenectomy
- Laparoscopic choledochal cyst excision
- Laparoscopic pyloromyotomy
- Abdominal masses (tumors of the kidney and urinary tract)
- Tumors of the digestive system
- Tumors of genital organs
- Cystic hygromas
- Cervical masses and fistulas
Paediatric Thoracic Surgery
- Thoracotomy and lobectomies for thoracic masses
- Therapeutic Bronchoscopy & Foreign Body removals
- Diagnostic Bronchoscopy
- V-P Shunts for Congenital Hydrocephalus
- Meningocele and Myelomeningocele repairs
- Encephalocele Repairs
- Intestinal obstruction
- Infantile Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis
- Gastro-intestinal bleeding
- Accidents necessitating surgery.
Neonatal Surgery and Prenatal Counselling
After coordination with the obstetrician, prenatal counselling is provided to clarify the medical situation with the parents. Collaboration with different sub-specialties takes place to ensure a successful and safe delivery and post delivery management.
Operation theatres at JSS Hospital are equipped with the latest technology and equipment including all paediatric laparoscopic instruments.
The Department actively participates in medical innovation to enable frugal low cost application for Indian population. Special clinics are planned for Paediatric Urlogy and Gender clinic and Spina Bifida clinic.