JSS Occupational Therapy and Rehabilitation Centre focuses on helping people with disabilities to function efficiently and manage their daily activities. The treatment involves activities, which are creative, industrial or those in average daily life. The major segment which is being helped at this centre are children with conditions like Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation, Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida and other developmental disabilities.
Now you can manage your allergies better than ever before.
Are you constantly experiencing watery eyes, running nose, skin rashes, sinuses, swelling and itching? Chances are, you may have food allergy or are allergic to something in the environment.
JSS Hospital now brings you a special clinic to address all your allergy problems.
The following services are provided at the Allergy Clinic
- Specialized evaluation for allergy and asthma
- Medical management
- Allergy evaluation to detect causative allergens
- Allergen immunotherapy in pursuit of cure of allergy
So, make an appointment with us to know the root of your problem.
JSS department of Physiotherapy provides assessment and appropriate physiotherapy management for all clients attending OPD and inpatient wards with prompt, ethical, and evidence based care.
- Helping people to regain and achieve their complete potential following injury, pain, surgery, or physical inability.
- Providing physiotherapy service that is based on high standards of care and practice which are evidence based.
- Providing a comprehensive range of specialised service that is accessible and aligned with the patients’ goals.
- Provide optimal quality care under physiotherapy speciality areas like musculo skeletal and sports, paediatrics, neurology, cardio-pulmonary, community physiotherapy and women’s health (OBG).
Physiotherapy department is supported by the faculty from JSS College of Physiotherapy and consist of over 24 physiotherapists, including specialist and teaching faculty.
Scope of Physiotherapy Services
The physiotherapy department as a team provides comprehensive physiotherapy care with the convenience of direct access to specialties and provides day to day service with walk in consultation with regular treatment appointments and plan. Patients with chronic pain and post discharge follow ups are considered at the outpatient department.
The team provides treatment for patients who are admitted and have undergone a wide range of procedures including cardiac, OBG, orthopaedic, paediatric, pulmonary, oncology, plastic surgery, neurological surgery and general surgery. The service is extended to all acute patients on blanket referrals to orthopaedic, OBG and neurosurgery wards and to all ICUs. Patients receive appropriate treatment with ethical, and evidence based care, with home care program and advice.
Head of the Department : Dr. Kavitha Raja PT PhD
In charge coordinator : Vijay Samuel Raj V MPT.
|BASIC SCIENCE – ORTHOPAEDICS IP||JAKSON K JOSEPH MPT, CKTT
|· Biomechanical evaluation and therapy
· Pre- admission patient education
· Ward based assessment and treatment seven days a week
· Post trauma and fracture rehabilitation
· Post- fracture surgical rehabilitation
· Joint replacement surgery rehabilitation
· Spinal surgery rehabilitation
· Hand rehabilitation
· Post ligament injury and surgery rehabilitation
· Joint pain / arthritis management
· Spinal pain management
· Gait training
· Functional re-education
|CARDIO PULMONARY PHYSIOTHERAPY
Physiotherapy in Women’s health (OBG)
|RENUKA DEVI M MPT (In-charge )
NAGINA NIKITHA MPT
ANUPAMA MC BPT
|· In patient and out- patient pulmonary rehabilitation.
· All CTVS (Cardio Thoracic Vascular Surgery) patients
· Physiotherapy care in cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery and vascular surgery
· General surgery physiotherapy care including plastic surgery, burns and abdominal surgeries.
· Acute physiotherapy care in Amputation, surgical oncology
· Physiotherapy care in pulmonary conditions (eg., COPD, Pleural disease, Restrictive Lung disease)
· Peripheral vascular disease Physiotherapy management.
· Antenatal training, and treatment of MSK problem related to pregnancy
· Post natal Screening
· Post-natal training and treatment of incontinence and pelvic floor muscle dysfunction.
· Physiotherapy care in LSCS, NVD
· Patient education and coping strategy management
Geriatrics including Nephrology
|Dr. KAVITHA RAJA PT PhD (Head)
PRASHANTH V M MPT
ANITHA S BPT
|· Geriatrics screening and rehabilitation and falls prevention programs
· Chronic pain management in geriatrics
· Permanent Physical Impairment (PPI) Evaluation
· Rehabilitation of Amputees
· Outreach program / camps
· Ergonomic evaluation
· Therapy for patients with Chronic Kidney Dysfunction (CKD)
· Exercise prescription of CKD during haemodialysis
|MUSCULOSKELETAL AND SPORTS PHYSIOTHERAPY||VIJAY SAMUEL V MPT, CKTT
NITYAL KUMAR MPT
NAGENDRA R T MPT
|· Chronic Post traumatic / Fracture Rehabilitation.
· Management of joint and soft-tissue dysfunction
· Sports specific therapy and rehabilitation
· Knee ligament reconstructive surgery Rehab
· Chronic Joint Replacement Rehabilitation
· Pain clinic (arthritis ,low back and neck pain)
· Gait and functional evaluation and re-education
· Fitness programs and core body strength training
· Taping (K-taping / Rigid)
|NEUROLOGICAL PHYSIOTHERAPY||Dr. ANNIE THOMAS MPT, PhD.,
|PAEDIATRICS PHYSIOTHERAPY||Ms. SHARVANI MPT
- Electrotherapy modalities like Electrical Stimulation, Ultrasound Therapy (UST), Laser therapy, Pain relief modalities like Interferential Therapy (IFT), Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator (TENS), Cervical and Lumbar Traction
- Whirlpool, multi gym, cycle ergometer, treadmill
- Excellent infrastructure
- Speciality clinics
- Multi-disciplinary environment
- Competent and highly qualified faculty
- Efficient and effective treatment based on patients’ goals.
- Diverse specialities
- Evidence based therapy
- Research intensive environment
Occupational Therapy is a paramedical science that promotes health and well being through occupation, activities, or work.
The primary goal is
- to enable people participate in the activities of everyday life effectively, despite health issues.
- to use activities to promote better muscular coordination, dexterity and performance of manipulative tasks.
- To use therapeutic activities with assistive technology and orthotics (splints), to ensure recovery in patients treated for conditions in Orthopedics, Neurology and Plastic surgery.
Scope of Occupational Therapy
Conditions managed in Occupational Therapy
- Developmental Delay (Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation, Autism, ADHD)
- Neurological Conditions(Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury, Parkinson’s Disease)
- Physical Dysfunctions(Burns, Amputation, Nerve Injuries, Musculoskeletal Disorders, Spinal cord Injury)
- Hand Injury (Crush injury, Hansen’s Disease, Nerve Injury)
- Cumulative Trauma Disorders(Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Low Back Pain).
- Mental Illness (Schizophrenia, Drug Addiction, Depression).
Occupational Therapy Services
The Department of Occupational Therapy provides the following services
- Evaluation & Management of Functional Deficits
- Developmental Therapy
- Hand Therapy
- ADL Training
- Advice on Barrier-free Environment (Biomechamical & Ergonomic Assessment)
- Sensory Integration Therapy
- Splints and Assistive Devices
- Assessment & prescription of appropriate Wheelchair/ Seating
- Physical & Functional Capacity evaluation for return to work (Pre-vocational evaluation, Vocational Training)
- Assessment for Disability Certificate ( % of Disability)
Occupational Therapy services are broadly divided into the following sections:
General Occupational Therapy
This section is equipped with different gadgets and devices that help in improving the muscle strength, joint range of motion, and coordination. Occupational Therapy services are also provided through the different graded and purposeful activities specifically used for improving the standing tolerance, eye-hand coordination .
Pediatric Occupational Therapy
The aim is to provide appropriate opportunities and to facilitate the development of milestones & motor skills. Different techniques of neuro-developmental therapy, therapy, perceptuo-motor therapy, play combined with purposeful and functional activities, are used to treat children with Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation & Syndromic Presentations.
Sensory Integration Therapy
Children who are diagnosed with Autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder or with Sensory issues are those who benefit most from this form of therapy. Sensory Integration therapy is based on neuro-anatomy and neuro-physiology of the central nervous system. After the children are examined for their neuro-motor-sensory status, they are stimulated through activities. Specially designed equipment and techniques develop better control over their body and the environment.
Activities of Daily Living
Patients unable to perform even simple routine tasks, are taught to be independent in daily living skills such as self care and hygiene, mobility and transfers, management of common environmental hardware and home management.
Patients who develop weakness/deformities in the hand due to disease, disorder or trauma may need an external support called a splint/orthosis. Some patients require splinting as part of preoperative or postoperative management.
Occupational Therapy enables not just years to life but life to years!
Short term intensive rehabilitation of people with modifiable physical impairment including
- Total joint replacement
- Head injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Severe orthopaedic trauma
Criteria for admission
- Must be medically stable – not on oxygen/ cardiac monitor/ dialysis
- Able and willing to participate in 6 hours of therapy
- Family must be willing to take responsibility for self care as if at home (the main goal of rehab is to empower the patient and family to return home) nursing services are in a supportive and educational role
- Must understand that rehab is long term and cure is not possible- maximising function is our goal
- Assistive technology costs are over and above therapy costs
Services – in house
- Clinical psychology
- Orthotic/prosthetic consultation
- Medical/surgical consultation
Services available in JSS hospital
A typical schedule
|09:00 – 10:00||Physiotherapy – individual|
|10:00 – 11 :00||OT group (self care)|
|11:00 – 11:30||Break|
|11:30 – 12:00||Cognitive activity|
|12:00 – 01:00||Therapeutic recreation|
|01:00 – 02:00||Supervised lunch|
|02:00 – 03:00||gym|
|03:00 – 04:00||Cl psych|
|04:00 – 05:00||SLP|
A typical program
- Therapeutic outing prior to discharge
- Home/ office evaluation prior to discharge
- Family conference day after admission, prior to discharge and as necessary
- Simulated work environment as necessary
- Pre academic training as necessary and on patient request
- Assistance with acquiring aids and appliances, job, admission to school
- Assistance with acquiring disability card and govt. benefits